world famous temple is located right next to the Grand Palace
on the south side. It is one of Bangkok's oldest and largest temples.
Wat Pho was built by King Rama I nearly 200 years ago and houses
the gigantic gold-plated Reclining Buddha. This unique image is
46 metres in length and 15 metres high with beautifully inlaid
mother-of pearl soles . Wat Pho is also regarded as the first
centre of public education and is sometimes called "Thailand's
First University". The building housing the Reclining Buddha
is open daily from 8.00 a.m.- 5.00 p.m. Admission fee is Baht
Wat Arun (Temple
of the Dawn)
on the west bank of the Chao Phraya River Wat Arun can be reached
either by Arun Amarin Road or by crossing the river hy boat from
Tha Tien Pier near Wat Pho. The most attractive structure in this
temple is the 79 metre-high pagoda or "Phra Prang".
Wat Arun was restored during the brief Thonhuri period to he the
Royal Chapel of King Taksin. Despite its name "Temple of
the Dawn" the most beautiful view of it is from the Bangkok
side of the river at sunset. Admission fee is Baht 10.
(Temple of the Golden Buddha)
the end of Yaowarat Road near Bangkok's Hualamphong Railway Station
is a temple situated on Traimit Road. This temple is known for
its famous Golden Buddha constructed during the Sukhothai period.
The image of solid gold is three meters high and weighs five and
a half tons. this image is open to the from 9.00 a.m.- 5.00 p.m.
Originally, this golden buddha image was completely covered with
plaster to conceal it from the enemy then invading Thailand and
was installed as the principal Buddha image in the main temple
building of Choti-naram Temple or Wat Phrayakrai, Yannawa District,
Bangkok in the third reign of the Chakkri Dynasty in the Ratanakosin
era. When Chotanaram Temple was deserted in about 1931, the East
Asiatic Company, with official pernission, extended its operations
into the land area of the deserted temple. When the building was completed and while preparations
were being made to move this Golden Buddha image to the building,
the covering plaster was partly broken. Only then did the people
realize that it was a golden Buddha image. Thus, it has been treasured
for its historical, artistic and cultural values to this day.
Part of the covering plaster is also on display inside the temple
(The Marble Temple)
The Marble Temple is on Si Ayutthaya Road near Chitralada Palace.
The temple is well-known because its main building was constructed
during the reign of King Rama V. The best time to visit this temple
is early in the morning when Buddhist monks are chanting inside
the chapel. The interior of the main building is magnificently
decorated with cross beams of lacquer and gold. A large collection
of Bronze Buddhas lines the walls of the spacious inner courtyard.
The main building is open to visitors until 5.00 p.m. There is
an admission charge of Baht 10.
(The Giant Swing)
on Bamrung Muang Road this temple took 27 years to build. It is
famous for the excellent murals in the main building from the
reign of King Rama III (1824-1851). The viharn should be seen
for its collection of gilded Buddha images. The temple complex
is open daily from 9.00 a.m.- 5.00 p.m. In front of the temple
is the famous Giant Swing. Many shops surrounding Wat Suthat stock
a very comprehensive range of Buddhist ecclesiastic supplies.
Wat Sa Ket
(The Golden Mount)
Sa Ket or the Golden Mount was begun during the reign of King
Rama I (1782-1800). The golden chedi houses relics of Lord Buddha
and affords visitors a panoramic view of Bangkok.
Located in Bangkhunphrom area on Wisutkrasat Road Wat Indravihan
is well-known for a huge standing Buddha image. This image of
"Buddhasiariyametriya" is 32 metres tall (108.99 feet)
and 10 metres and 24 inches wide (40.09 feet). This Buddhist monument
was built during the reign of King Rama IV. The topknot of the
Buddha image contains a relic of Lord Buddha brought from Sri
Lanka. The temple is open to the public every day. There is no
Located on Sukhumvit Soi 101 this is the highest pagoda in Bangkok.
The pagoda 94.78 high, has 14 storey and an elevator to enable
visitors, particularly elderly people, to go to the top of the
building. Relics and a hair of the Lord Buddha, kept in the pagoda,
were presented by the Supreme Patriach of Bangladesh.
on Thanon Mahachai. This royal temple was built in the reign of
King Rama III in 1846. Loha Prasat (Metal Palace) one of its tourist
attractions standing on its 36 meters high with 37 surrounding
spires is the only one of its kind left in the world. Situated
in the nearby area are a royal pavilion for a guest welcome and
the memorial statue of King Rama III.
The building is located on Phra Sumen Road, in Banglumphu area.
Built in 1829, it is the shrine-hall of Phra Phutthachinasri which
was molded in about 1357. Wat Bowon niwet is one of the most important
temples of Bangkok whose one-time chief abbot was King Rama IV
before he ascended the throne. Other Chakri Kings who had resided
here during their monkhood include King Rama Vl and King Rama
Vll as well as His Majesty King Bhumibol Adulyadej.
(Temple of the Great Relic)
This is a very old temple on Na Phrathat Road between Silpakom
University and Thammasat University. The back of the temple faces
the Pramane Ground or Sanam Luang. Wat Mahathat was built during
the reign of King Rama I and houses Mahachulalongkorn Buddhist
University one of the two highest seats of Buddhist learning in
the country. Those interested in Buddhist meditation should visit
Section 5 which is the head-quarters of Wipassana (insight) meditation
inThailand. Information and practice in English can usually arranged
according to availability of suitable monks. The temple complex
is open from 9.00 a.m. to 5.00 p.m. On Buddhist holy days there
is a thriving open air market in the grounds and a comprehensive
selection of traditional Thai medicines usually in plant or root
form for sale.